Go Back   LKM Forums Bitch > General Chat > Just Talk

Just Talk About nothing really

Old 07-21-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Solarpowered

Gameroom cash: $6780
Solarpowered is on a distinguished road
Default 'tide's venture to the land of the Rising Sun

Day 1: Finally got to Kyoto and checked into the hotel. Very nice place, $50, huge room, even comes with a massager in the room:

Though it seems most people only stay for about two hours. I don't understand how they can get a good nights rest with only two hours.

Either way, I'm gonna go to Gion now.

Last edited by Solarpowered; 07-21-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Solarpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
Solarpowered

Default Re: 'tide's venture to the land of the Rising Sun

Day 4:

I'm at a restaurant at 10:50, I want to buy some lunch. After 5 minutes of back and forth, I finally figured out they're trying to tell me they don't serve lunch until 1100, and I can only order breakfast.

Like, we could just pretend I still don't understand for another 5 minutes and you serve me the damn lunch.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Solarpowered

This was my breakfast. Allow me to explain how I fucked up.

The far upper left dish. I don't know what this dish contained, I took a bite, clearly I've been poisoned, and did not touch that dish again.

The rice seemed self-explanatory.

Middle dish, left side, tasted like pickles, clearly not pickles. Pickles are delicious, so whatever these things were, they were delicious.

White dish, far left. Super bland. Possibly some sort of vegetable. Specks of what looks like pepper, but no pepper taste. Halfway through, upon closer inspection, the specks of pepper were actually tiny eyeballs.

Fish, again super bland. Apparently the Japanese don't believe in adding spices.

Next up, no idea what this was. But as expected, super bland.

Far right, no idea what this was, but decided to save it for last. Turned out, this was some sort of super salty, we're talking overly salty thing, that can't be eaten unless you have a full bowl of rice (which I did not, since rice was the safest thing and I ate it first) or a huge cup of tea.

Due to my predicament, I was quickly running out of tea, and no one was coming to refill my cup. This leads to the red jug in the center of the ensemble. I figured this was soy sauce, which I was not a fan of. But that didn't make sense, because I had another bottle to my left clearly labeled soy sauce. I poured a little bit of liquid on to the white plate. It was a light yellowish color. Then I poured a bit into my rice bowl so I could taste it. Very bland. Oh, this is tea, this explains why no one came to refill my cup, I had a teapot already served with the meal. Immediately filled my cup back up to full and took a gulp. This was not tea. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but my best guess at this point was some sort of low concentration MSG solution.

Put everything back on the tray, we're done here. Got a train to catch anyway.

Next stop, Tokyo, in 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Last edited by Solarpowered; 07-25-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
MuddPuppy
LKM's08 EpicFailurewinner

Battle Cry!: who did that!!!!!!
Gameroom cash: $47806
MuddPuppy is on a distinguished road

Where are day 2 and 3?? Did you spend them in the hotel room making good use of complementary "massager"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger
Do you gotta Webcam? We can make a date outta this
MuddPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
VivaGabe!

Battle Cry!: NONE YET
Gameroom cash: $7520
VivaGabe! is on a distinguished road

Did you go to see the spinning Roombas that Yabden couldn't shut up about?
VivaGabe! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
Solarpowered

I did not go see the spinning roombas and do not intend to. Just came back from Sengakuji Temple (fascinating story of 47 ronin, the wikipedia page on it is great).

Going to the FF XIV themed Eorzea Cafe this evening, going to Harajuku right now to get a crepe.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 PM   #7
MuddPuppy
LKM's08 EpicFailurewinner

Battle Cry!: who did that!!!!!!
Gameroom cash: $47806
MuddPuppy is on a distinguished road

I love that you are sharing your time there with us and I am loving the pic(s). But I still want to know what happened to night 2 and 3. If you refuse to tell me, I will be left to believe that you were in the hotel room with the massager. Also, we miss you on the server, kinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger
Do you gotta Webcam? We can make a date outta this
MuddPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 AM   #8
Solarpowered

Oh, I got hundreds of pics, I'll write up each day after I get back to the states, better off spending my time here experiencing things.

Ironically, the thing that impressed me the most this entire trip isn't even Japanese, it's a Chinese artifact from the Tokyo National Museum:

19th century, agate inlaid with rubies.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
Solarpowered

Day 1, continued. Set up base camp in Kyoto, wondering if I have time to go to Gion the same day or not, ended up getting to the hotel quite a bit later than intended. 15 minutes walking to get to the train station, 15 minutes to Gion, that puts us at around 2100, had to look up when the trains stop running. Meanwhile, turned on the TV to see what's on.

Bread Man was on. Anyway, trains stop running early morning the next day, so I headed out. Gion was largely disappointing if you aren't interested in buying things. It was mostly just a bunch of stores. It was 2100 though and I haven't had food since the airplane, so I tried to find a place to get some grub. All the restaurants looked super expensive, it was now 2200 and I still haven't had any food. Finally went to some 0101 department store that had a food court at the top floor. Figured food courts were pretty cheap. Well, ended at some place that didn't have any English speakers in it. Food was super expensive too, $35 for some meat, it wasn't even cooked. After 5 minutes of back and forth, and Google translate, I learned that at this establishment you had to cook the food yourself. Some nice 17 year old girl showed me how the cooking was done.

So, thing about this "Kobe Beef". The premise is that the meat has high fat content. So when I bit into it, it was like eating a mouthful of fat. I prefer my steaks lean.

Last edited by Solarpowered; 07-30-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #10
EddyMcChuckleNuggets
It's Chuckle, not Chicken

Gameroom cash: $5015
EddyMcChuckleNuggets is on a distinguished road

Looks like pomegranates
EddyMcChuckleNuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #11
Solarpowered

Day 2:

I told myself the reason I went to Japan was to play at GP Kyoto, but I my sealed pool was disappointing and I scrubbed out. I took a picture of my deck list, so if someone plays magic the gathering on here I'll post it.

After hitting X-2 I decided I wasn't gonna stick around and went to the Fushimi Inari shrine instead.

Here's me walking up the shrine with it in the distance:

https://gfycat.com/ThoseDelayedCrane

And here's entering the main attraction of the shrine, with all the gate things:

https://youtu.be/9jELU7FDgio

These gate things actually get pretty dense, I can only imagine the time it took to finish this place.

https://gfycat.com/FelineCalmFlounder

The walkway leads up to a trail up the mountain. The shrine was a lot bigger than I expected, so I started climbing up the mountain. It was 97 degrees in Kyoto that day, but the higher you climbed the cooler it became. Got this great view halfway up the mountain:

At which point the guy behind me says "It's going to rain".

Like, is this guy a weather wizard? How does he know it's going to rain? The forecast I checked before coming to Japan said it was going to rain on Tuesday, but this was Saturday. So I sat down, went to Google, and it started to rain. Climbed a bit more, but I didn't have an umbrella and my socks were soaked, so I headed back home.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
DerHelm
Slayer of virginity

Battle Cry!: I'm cute and creepy?
Gameroom cash: $103253
DerHelm is on a distinguished road

That J BBQ looks really good.
DerHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #13
Karen Price

Gameroom cash: $1100
Karen Price is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarpowered View Post
Day 1: Finally got to Kyoto and checked into the hotel. Very nice place, $50, huge room, even comes with a massager in the room:

Though it seems most people only stay for about two hours. I don't understand how they can get a good nights rest with only two hours.

Either way, I'm gonna go to Gion now.
I'm still wonder what happened to the second and third nights. Were you still in the hotel room enjoying the massager? BTW, after inquiry, I found out that those heavenly massagers are sourced from https://relaxish.com/best-massage-chair-reviews/
I acquired one last week and trust me, they're awesome.
Karen Price is offline   Reply With Quote

LKM Forums Bitch > General Chat > Just Talk